I am "stealing" a question from another blog. The question was "Why do you run?" Well that got me thinking. Why do I run? There are many reasons why I decided to run. So rather than take up a lot of space to answer, I thought I would turn to my own blog to answer.
After being very overweight for the majority of my adult life, and still being overweight even after losing over 100 pounds, I wanted a "different" way to take off the rest of my weight. The first part of my weight loss journey was taken the conventional albeit hard way. I ate less and moved more. I lifted weights 3 days a week and did cardio 3 days a week. Yes I had times when I didn't exercise and I ate all the crap that had me labeled as morbidly obese(wow that is the first time I have ever said or thought about the fact that I was morbidly obese). But the thing that was different this time and made this attempt at weight loss work, was that even when I fell off the wagon I got back up and got right back on track. I was looking at the health/fitness magazines and all of the women with the awesome bodies had some running in their fitness regime. I wanted/want that body.
So I wanted a different "workout". I would never have dreamed that I could run. I had attempted to run a treadmill once and felt like I sounded like a heard of elephants and that everyone in the gym was watching me. To this day I avoid the treadmill like the plague!!!! I LOVE to run outside. I LOVE the way I feel when I am running, the way I feel after I have run. I even LOVE the sweaty smelly clothes that I have to wash after a run!!!! :) I also LOVE what running is doing to/for my body. It may not be changes that everyone can see yet, but I am noticing the changes and hopefully everyone else will soon!
Saturday, January 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
Awesome, honest and inspiring post! You are doing a GREAT job....:)!!
ReplyDeleteI avoid the treadmill too. If I had to run on that all the time I'm pretty sure I wouldn't love running at all. :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome to blogging!! keep up with the hard work, too. love that you're enjoying the running!
ReplyDeleteYep - that 'morbidly obese' label sure slaps ya' in the face, doesn't it?? I got THAT label a few years before getting the DIABETIC, TYPE 2 label. It was only THEN that I started to listen and make changes. Good for you for starting your journey!! I'm really glad to be following you! Hopefully, we'll meet at some of the upcoming races, since we're 'neighbors.'
ReplyDeleteAnd the treadmill... it has its advantages for some workouts, I'm finding. As for sounding like an elephant, at least we're moving, right!? LOL
I get satisfaction from the smelly workout clothes, too! Is that weird or what?? Ha Ha
Thanks Everyone!!! Robin--that was a big slap!!! I was kind of excited to become "just" obese---kind of sick huh??!?
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey to a marathon and a full tri! Thats great you are seeing/feeling the changes, YAY for running :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic post! That is exactly how I feel about running! Very inspiring :-)
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteI see you're onboard for the Disney Princess Half. A handful of us (mostly locals) are meeting for an early pasta dinner Saturday afternoon (4:00 ish).. would love for you to join us (family/friends welcome, too...my hubs will be with me for sure).
Let me know if you're interested. I'll send you the details as I know them: trtl.rnr@gmail.com And if not, I hope to see you at the race! I'll have a sign, a t-shirt, and a big grin! :-) (Oh, and will be at the BACK of the pack! ha ha)
Excited to hear how your running is coming!
ReplyDeleteJenn,
ReplyDeleteWhere are you, friend....???? Sending you gentle nudges! :)
HUGS from Orlando!